Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Need a new snowthrower

On Thu, 18 Oct 2018 07:10:01 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Thursday, October 18, 2018 at 9:38:21 AM UTC-4, Tom wrote:
I've think I've narrowed it down to Ariens and Honda.
Honda engines are virtually unbreakable but the machines are also 2x the price. Are Hondas worth it?
Both brands have great local dealers.* Which brand do you recommend?

interesting info to decide re snowblower..

single stage or two stage
metal or plastic impeller
what is the gap between the impeller vanes and the housing
diameter and speed of the impeller

google "impeller kit" and watch the you tubes

there seems to be big variations in how far they throw and how easily they clog.

mark

My Yammy will throw snow over 50 feet - the impeller clearance is
quite tight. For heavy snow use you want 2 stage and metal vanes.

For light accumulations a single stage rubber vane unit works well.

They even have "3 stage" unis now, with a "screw" on the end of the
inpeller shaft - - - . look at Troy-Bilt as an example.

Simplicity is another EXCELLENT quality brand (not saying Troy is, or
isn't)