Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris French Chris French is offline

Default bike tyre stretching ????

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." Wrote in message:

"Richard" wrote in message
news
On 18/10/2018 13:44, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"Tim+" wrote in message
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
After a puncture and a ruined tyre I tried to put back on an old 28
inch
bike tyre that WAS on the bike years ago only to find its diameter was
now
far to big to fit the rim....is this normal ?

Hmm, either the bead wire has broken (on both sides) or you have simply
mis-remembered which bike or wheel the tyre came off. My money is on
the
latter.

I've kept many old bike tyres for years and in my experience, the bead
*never* changes in size. Have you had new wheels put on at any time in
the
past? What size did the ruined tyre claim to be in the sidewall? What
was
the figure printed on the sidewall of the "stretched" tyre?

Tim

come on it says 28 inch on the tyre ,,,,,,and it IS 28 inch bike ....

But are the rims 28inch?

the rims are 28 inch
the tyre was used... I took it off the bike years ago... I only put it back
on because the one I was using was destroyed... the tyre said 28
inch.....never mind it is in the bin and a new 28 inch fitted......no idea
what happened

There are two different '28 inch ' tyre sizes though, those with
a bead diameter of 635mm, otherwise known as 700B and those with
a bead diameter of 622 mm, otherwise known as 700C.

You can also get different '26 inch' tyres as well.

Which is why it's always better to refer to tyre size by their ISO
sizes, as no confusion then
--
Chris French