Posted to rec.woodworking
Meanie[_2_] Meanie[_2_] is offline

Default Red Oak and Poly

On 10/17/2018 9:19 AM, Jack wrote:
On 10/16/2018 7:04 PM, Meanie wrote:
Finishing my stair treads and risers with clear polyurethane. I sanded
up to 220 and the surface was very smooth to the touch. After 3 coats of
poly (4 coats on treads), the touch isn't really smooth. I can actually
fell parts of the grain and was wondering if that's normal or not.
Perhaps I'm expecting a smooth glass like touch to finishes such as
shellac or lacquer but uncertain with poly. Is this normal? If so, what
are opinions about lacquer over a poly finish?

First, your shoes, socks, feet will never notice, other than a miniscule
amount of non-slip surface.

Next, finish is not designed to smooth surfaces.Â* If you want to have
glass smooth wood, then you need to get it there before you apply
finish. They sell wood putty and grain fillers specifically for this
purpose.

Oak and walnut have large pores and open grain, and wood filler is
always needed for glass finish.Â* Maple and cherry have tight grain, and
filler not really needed for glass finish.Â* You don't need glass finish
on stairs, but if you want it, that's how you get it. Personally, I
prefer open grain wood like oak to maintain that open grain look, so
rarely to never use wood filler even on furniture let alone stairs.

Next, I would not put lacquer over anything, it dissolves most
everything and would likely result in a real mess.

Last think: see first above.

Bonus thing: if you plan on ever walking down the steps in your socks,
don't let your wife wax/oil the steps. DAMHIK!

I'll leave it as is, sans wax.

Thanks for the input.