Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default reconstitute PVC cement

On Tue, 16 Oct 2018 18:37:00 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Sunday, June 8, 2014 at 5:27:49 PM UTC-4, Deodiaus wrote:
Has any modern day alchemists tried and succeeded to reconstitute PVC cement which got wet. THis is probably hard as it involves a complex chemical reaction with water which might be very difficult to drive backwards.
But then, I am sure that I am not the only one who has had this happen.

No chemical reaction is involved at all. It is a purely physical process. The solvents in the cement dissolve a thin layer of the surface of the pipe and the fitting. Some dissolved PVC is also pre-dissolved in the cement. After joining the two parts, the solvent dissipates (a) by evaporating and (b) by diffusing further into the plastic. It's the latter process that they want you to limit by not letting the primer or cement puddle, as too much solvent diffusing into the plastic softens it and causes it to swell and weaken.

That is true in normal conditions. Addition of water MAY make the
glue irretrievable.