Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_91_] Bill[_91_] is offline

Default Red Oak and Poly

Meanie wrote:
Finishing my stair treads and risers with clear polyurethane. I
sanded up to 220 and the surface was very smooth to the touch.
After 3 coats of poly (4 coats on treads), the touch isn't really
smooth.

My suggestion (and who the hell am i?) would be to lightly sand
one stair riser with 320-400, apply 2 or more coats of poly
(separately), and see if there is a significant difference. If
you like the result, you can repeat on the rest of the stuff, or
not. Good luck!

Bill

I can actually fell parts of the grain and was wondering
if that's normal or not. Perhaps I'm expecting a smooth glass
like touch to finishes such as shellac or lacquer but uncertain
with poly. Is this normal? If so, what are opinions about lacquer
over a poly finish?

Thanks