Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb[_3_] dpb[_3_] is offline

Default Cutting board food safety issue

On 10/16/2018 12:19 PM, Leon wrote:
On 10/16/2018 11:56 AM, MJ wrote:
Last year, I bought some small cutting boards from a friend. I took
them home and sanded them and then used mineral spirits to clean them
up. I knew it was wrong and I've not distributed them as gifts as I
intended last year. Just wondering, how do I "fix" them to make sure
that my friends and family don't get sick.

I was thinking of resending, then flooding them with mineral oil,
letting them try and then doing it again.

Any hints would be helpful.

MJ

Mineral spirits will evaporate off and "should" not be an issue.Â* Most
any non lead finish is safe once it cures.

+1

By this time there's nothing volatile left from a year ago; what is most
suitable depends on what you envision they could/would be used for given
the size as to whether are likely to be actually used as a cutting board
or something else based on the "small" description.