jeff

Default Clothes Dryer Heating Element Stays On

"Brian Madden" wrote in message ...
Hello All,

I have a Kenmore electric dryer of unknown age.

The symptom was the standard "no heat."

I tested the reg / low thermostats and the hi limit thermostat. Those tested
out ok. I was next going to test the heating coil itself, so I plugged the
dryer in. To my surprise, the heating element came on, even though the dryer
motor was not running.

As far as I can tell, it doesn't matter what position the timer motor is in.
The heating element comes on whenever the dryer is plugged in.

Any thoughts? My guess is maybe a defective centrifugal switch?

Hi,

The motor centrifugal switch may be bad or has some lint stuck in it,
but a grounded heating element is more common.

http://www.applianceaid.com/grounded.html
What is a grounded geating element.

http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=3367
http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=2438