Posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster

Default How To Build A "Flexible" Bench

On Monday, October 8, 2018 at 8:42:42 PM UTC-4, Sonny wrote:
On Saturday, September 29, 2018 at 11:06:55 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
My daughter saw these benches at a flea market and she wants me to build
one for her:

https://i.imgur.com/5n5kB3K.jpg

Realizing a decision has been made for another design of bench, the linked bench design has potential. However, if it not totally too late, another altering option for the above bench is to reduce the width of the side boards/supports/"skirts". Those boards seem too wide for a dining scenario. For a 5' long bench, a 1" stock seat board is plenty sturdy for supporting folks. That wide of side boards is not necessary.

Also, altering the "V" cut on the legs, to a half circle cut, maybe, to maintain a curved cut feature of the side boards.... a concave profile, i.e., taking a cue from Leon's concave designs on some of his projects. A concave cut on the more narrow side boards would lessen the picnic table look (outside bench look) and may not be so formal a look as the trestle bench design.

Sonny

Thanks for the additional comments. We're going with the angled leg option. Prototyping to
begin as soon as I finish some outside work. We're having a new stoop and walkway put in
and I have to do a little more prep work before the contractor shows up later this week.