Posted to uk.d-i-y
samchunk samchunk is offline

Default Repair of a universal joint yoke - possible?

"Chris Green" wrote in message
news
newshound wrote:
On 07/10/2018 22:25, Chris Green wrote:
Tim+ wrote:
Chris Green wrote:
newshound wrote:
On 07/10/2018 15:42, Chris Green wrote:
One of the UJT yokes on our Kubota tractor has failed, one of the
'arms' is broken so no longer retains the needle roller bearing.

Is there any sane way of repairing this as replacements seem nearly
impossible to find. It's a bit of a strange design as the yoke
goes
direct onto a flanged shaft (i.e. it has an internal spline) so
finding a non-Kubota replacement is unlikely. However if anyone
can
recommend suppliers of (small) UJTs with splined connections I'd be
interested.

Possibly cast iron?

Possibly, yes. It certainly looks like a casting of some sort.

When you say broken, do you mean a brittle fracture or something
else?

More of a 'worn away until the bearing ripped out', looking at the
remains I think it may not be cast iron as it has torn rather than
cracked.

Photo?

Good idea...... Here you go:-

http:/isbd.net/yoke/p1020500.jpg

Nope. Doesnt work...

Oops, sorry, should be:-

http://isbd.uk/yoke/p1020500.jpg

Thanks, that works for me!

OK so the needle roller bearing has been gone for a long time, that
looks fairly irrecoverable.

It hasn't been gone long, it is somewhat vulnerable because it's quite
low down in front of the mower deck so does get hit by sticks and stones.
In this case I was mowing, there was a bang, and I wasn't mowing.

I'm not really familiar with Kubota
tractors. UJ spares for their mowers look pretty expensive on eBay.

They're expensive everywhere and seem to be subject to some sort of
price fixing/control. Firstly US suppliers refuse to send overseas
(even when they will send other stuff overseas) and US prices are much
lower.

There are operations that allow you to use a US address to have
stuff shipped to which will then send it anywhere you like.

Secondly if you look at a list of prices or quite varied small
parts they are all the same (exorbitant) price within a few pence
regardless of what they are. There are a few 'normally replaceable'
items like filters which are cheaper but otherwise everything is $95
to $98.

This
is obviously on a drive shaft, rather than steering. Less scope to bodge
a drive shaft, I'd have said.

Yes, it's the drive from the PTO to the mower deck.

If there are really no spares around
then
I still think I would be looking to adapt something from another
mini-tractor. You might also look at ATVs.

Yes.

Looks a bit like this, though

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kubota-Dr...AOSw4GVYKuK l

That's much longer and is the middle, sliding bit, my broken bit is
on the other half of a much shorter one.

--
Chris Green
ยท