Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default car interior leather painting

On Sun, 7 Oct 2018 21:05:17 -0600, rbowman wrote:

On 10/07/2018 07:36 PM, micky wrote:
I've read, maybe here, that leather seats use thin leather which is
covered by clear plastic. Of course if the color is gone, the plastic
would be gone there too, but not elsewhere on the same seat.

semi-aniline leather.

https://www.chambersnaturalproducts....r-conditioner/

That complicates the OP's life. Aniline leather is top shelf leather
that is only dyed to bring out the grain. Semi-aniline is dyed the same
but has a urethane top coat that makes it more stain resistant and also
may contain additional pigmentation to cover minor problems. The terms
vary, but pigmented leather has a similar top coat but it isn't
semi-transparent.

For a car, I'd guess at least semi-aniline unless it comes with a
chauffeur to maintain the upholstery. When you pour that hot coffee in
your lap you wouldn't want to stain the leather.

The leather in my 85 Chrysler mark cross was top grain full aniline.
The 88 Mark Cross was either top grain or full grain full aniline.
The Mystique was full grain full aniline but very stiff.

Full aniline weather needs to be "fed" to keep it smooth and supple.

You can tell full anilne by looking at the back. Only full aniline is
died all the way through.
Full grain has minor "defects" like scratches and fly bites while top
grain has defects "sanded" out.