Posted to alt.home.repair
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default car interior leather painting

On 10/07/2018 07:36 PM, micky wrote:
I've read, maybe here, that leather seats use thin leather which is
covered by clear plastic. Of course if the color is gone, the plastic
would be gone there too, but not elsewhere on the same seat.

semi-aniline leather.

https://www.chambersnaturalproducts....r-conditioner/

That complicates the OP's life. Aniline leather is top shelf leather
that is only dyed to bring out the grain. Semi-aniline is dyed the same
but has a urethane top coat that makes it more stain resistant and also
may contain additional pigmentation to cover minor problems. The terms
vary, but pigmented leather has a similar top coat but it isn't
semi-transparent.

For a car, I'd guess at least semi-aniline unless it comes with a
chauffeur to maintain the upholstery. When you pour that hot coffee in
your lap you wouldn't want to stain the leather.