Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Harman Kardon 930 lost channel. Hoe to trouble shoot ?

On Sunday, October 7, 2018 at 6:58:59 PM UTC-5, John-Del wrote:

Sad to say, you're English is better than many native speakers...

Yup. the mistakes are mistakes, not laziness.

I've changed many hundreds of outputs over the years, and have never seen one "open".

I have, but they are usually intermittent.

I can't speak for your particular HK, but most amplifiers (not all) use a common speaker protection relay so a shorted transistor on one side will prevent the speaker relay from engaging, rendering both sides mute. Your HK being an older vintage piece may be configured differently.

Actually none at all, there is no protection, no relay, delay or even output current limiting.

It is still a good piece. The outputs are hefty enough to handle a sub 4 ohm real load, looks like a fairly healthy FM as well with the totally shielded front end. It's not PLL stereo but if it is stable there is no reason it can't perform. It doesn't have the best tone controls of lo and hi cut filters but eh, can't have everything.