Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default car interior leather painting

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 7 Oct 2018 15:38:55 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Sunday, October 7, 2018 at 5:35:28 PM UTC-4, Walter Heger wrote:
What sort of paint is used on a car (QX56) interior. The paint seems to have rubbed off on the steering wheel and corners of drivers seat. I was wondering if the best option might be to paint it. Is this [for leather] paint sold at AutoZone? If I tape off and spray it on, will it look good?
The auto dealer recommends replacing the steering wheel and seat, but that is pricy. I guess I could always go that route if the paint job looks bad!
Has anyone tried painting a light tan interior?

If it's leather it's not painted, it is finished similar to how any leather like a sofa or jacket is finished. I had leather seats refurbished in a classic Mercedes by a local shop where the driver seat had worn the color off. They did all the seats and it came out looking like new. There may be products available for DIY, but if you need color because it's worn off, it has to match the oem color.

I've read, maybe here, that leather seats use thin leather which is
covered by clear plastic. Of course if the color is gone, the plastic
would be gone there too, but not elsewhere on the same seat.

My 2000 Toyota leather steering wheel wasn't in good condition and
cleaning it didnt' help. I would have rather had an attractive plastic
steering wheel like on my '65 Pontiac, than a leather wheel that lookeed
crummy.

The 2005 Toyota leather steering wheel still looks very nice, so in
order not to wear off the nice finish, I try not to steer. So far, so
good.