Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How do you keep your kitchen sponges free of bacteria?

On Sun, 7 Oct 2018 11:06:11 -0600, rbowman wrote:

On 10/07/2018 06:25 AM, wrote:
I don't worry much about bacteria; I have a functioning immune system.
That said, I'm not a moron about it. The kitchen sink drain harbors
more bacteria than the toilet seat, so I'm careful about cleaning in
and around the garbage disposal opening.

I worry even less. My dishcloth and sponge probably qualify as biology
lab experiments but I never even thought about it.

The folks who know say we are to germophobic and they actually led the
fight to eliminate antibacterial soaps and detergents because we were
losing our natural ability to fight microbes.
In spite of the scare tactics about your sponge vs the toilet seat,
the real issue is what kind of germs we are talking about. Most are
fairly benign but the ones you do find around the toilet can be very
bad in fairly small doses. They tend to be the same ones you have
trouble with in the kitchen but it is food straight from the store
than has this, not your dirty dishes.
The only time I really get serious about sanitizers in the kitchen is
cleaning up after handling things like chicken, that is pretty much
marinated in chicken **** at the processor.