Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Converting cordless to corded

On Sunday, 7 October 2018 10:49:26 UTC+1, wrote:
Hi All

I have a Graco paint sprayer and cutting a long story short am thinking of converting it to corded.

I have looked online and it seems at least for drills this seems doable however the ones I have seen so far have the batteries which push on to the drill and have 2 connections. The paint sprayer has an 18v slide on type lithium ion battery with many connections and the sprayer has 3 connectors to the battery.

Anyone ever tried doing this before? A few initial questions spring to mind
1. I can clearly identify the + and - but what is the 3rd one for and what should I connect it to? I have temporarily wired the + & - to a DeWalt battery + & - and it seems to work.

2 connections are fine, the 3rd monitors battery temp.

2. The sprayer says it is 15 amp so assume I need a transformer whose output power is at least 270 Watts ? I have seen these

that's a gamble

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Regulated-S.../dp/B01N9BDX6I

As an example so assume something like this would work?

another gamble. Many such can only sustain a quarter of rated output

3. I was thinking of striping out the cells from the existing battery and wiring just the 3 connectors the sprayer uses to the transformer. I assume the rest can be left disconnected?

yes, they're for charging

4. Maybe a daft question but presumably any wire I use has to be able to handle 15 amps

yup

(or if I go for the 360 watt one I might as well ensure 20 amps)? Is the fact that it is 18v DC important when selecting the cable? Eg is normal cable design for 20 amps at 240 v AC correct?

mains flex has 2 layers of thicker insulation. You don't need that

5. Any suggestions on the connectors to use?

I thought you already had the battery casing

Was going to do a split in the cable so that in the future I could add other battery types of needed to the same rig. Was planning on soldering connectors in the battery itself (assume any electrical solder is ok?) And assume the transformer will come with connectors to connect to it.

?
What you want's a power supply, not a transformer

Any top tips etc or bitter experience of doing this would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Lee.

12v tools are easier

NT