The Natural Philosopher

Default How to tell whether house has timber framed external walls?

Dane Koekoek wrote:

In message
"Woodspoiler"
wrote:

I used to live in one. Rapping on an external wall from the
inside the house produced the same hollow sound & feel as
knocking an internal plasterboard/stud partition.

Knocking an outside wall in a normally constructed house produces
the more resilient feel and sound of solid masonry. If a house
had plasterboard stuck to studs mounted on a masonry wall you
would get the wrong answer of course.

You could also ask the owner what fixings he uses in external
walls, e.g. for shelving - special plasterboard fixings as would
be used in a stud wall, or normal plugs.

Removing a light switch or electrical socket would show you.

Those were the only tell-tales in mine apart from drilling a hole
from inside.

[snip]

What differences does it actually make to be living in a timber-framed
property. Builders obviously construct using this technique for some
properties for a reason.

Is there anything sinister to look out for when living in one?

Its sounds different. That's the only thing I have noticed.

Damp if left untreated is more likley to result in serious structural rot.

It's harder to hang pictures :-)

Its easier to modify things that require holes in walls.
#