Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Holding spectacle frame screws

On Fri, 05 Oct 2018 20:37:42 +1000, samchunk wrote:

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Fri, 5 Oct 2018 15:57:24 +1000, "samchunk"
wrote:

Metal spectacle frame screws, the ones that clamp the lens in the frame
by closing the frame at the hinge end of the frame. So small that they
are hard to even get into the hole, partly because the hole they go in
is well down from the bottom of the side arm.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mtpmhz4m58..._1919.JPG?dl=0

What is best for holding the screw itself when putting it into the hole
?
Tweezers are what I was looking at getting, but did find one of those
things with 4 spring steel wires that come out of a cylinder when you
press a plunger
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xv9k6n3m12..._1918.PNG?dl=0

and wondered if there is anything even better that say you can press
the head into a sticky plastic end but which doesn't have any of the
plastic come off into the slot or star hole when you pull it off.

What you need is a watchmaker's or jeweller's set of very fine
screwdrivers, that probably have steel shafts and will pick up and hold
the screw by magnetism, allowing you to place it carefully into
position.

For some reason I can't find any already magnetised using jewellers
magnetic with amazon, ebay or aliexpress. Maybe the shafts are too fine
to work well like that or something.

I have a screwdriver magetiser. Magnetise when I need it, demiagnetise
when I don't. Works well on my jeweller's screwdrivers.