Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Minchin[_4_] Bob Minchin[_4_] is offline

Default smart meter portability

Andy Burns wrote:
SMETS1 meters must either be upgraded to enable portability, or replaced
with SMETS2 meters by the end of 2020, about 1/3 of existing SMs are
expected to need replacing.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/745729/Govt_response_Maximising_SMETS1_interoperability.p df

I understood that there was a further issue with the security of the
comms protocol even with SMETS2 meters and my speed reading this paper
did not seem to mention this.
Whilst I could imaging the SMETS2 meters being software upgradable to
meet the more secure comms requirement, it seems difficult to imagine
the SMETS1 meters that are migrated to DCC operation being capable of
software upgrades
Anyone know about this side of it?