Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default How To Build A "Flexible" Bench

On Friday, October 5, 2018 at 12:13:32 AM UTC-4, Sonny wrote:
On Thursday, October 4, 2018 at 8:41:58 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

She has now settled on this one. She likes the angles:

https://i.imgur.com/nr5hS2S.jpg?1

Now I just have to figure out what those angles are.

A dining seat is usually about 18"- 19" high. Have her measure the height of the chair seats.... might want to have your bench that height. On a cushioned seat, the crown (peak of the cushion's arc) of the seat is typically 19".

I have that measurement already. 17"

The bottom outside span of the legs... have them recessed about 1/2" from the outside edges of the seat. You don't want the legs to extend beyond the seat perimeter.

Good idea.

Make a template with cardboard, if need be. Large ones are usually available at appliance/furniture stores (dumpsters or nearby). I've saved the boxes my TVs came in.... these are thicker than typical cardboard boxes and they don't bend/disfigure, as easily as typical cardboard.

Cardboard...hmmm...now where am I going to get cardboard. Oh yeah,
maybe I'll use some of this:

https://i.imgur.com/SR3mqkJ.jpg

Some of those pieces fold out large enough for me to use while working
under the car. They keep the driveway clean and are easy to slide on.
Others pieces are maybe 2' x 2' for protecting stuff in my trailer.
I've got 2 pieces that are perfect sized to protect the sides of my Odyssey
when I need to haul stuff. Another piece covers the entire floor. Some are splattered with paint or stain from various stripping/finishing projects.

I've got more pieces in the trailer just in case. In fact, I just used
some of those last night to slide some heavy filing cabinets in and out.

Hi. My name is DerbyDad and I'm a cardboard-aholic.