Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Lighting circuit

On 02/10/2018 21:00, wrote:
On Tuesday, 2 October 2018 20:07:57 UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:
On 02/10/18 19:50, tabbypurr wrote:
On Tuesday, 2 October 2018 14:24:28 UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:
On 02/10/18 12:03, tabbypurr wrote:

If we weren't buried in red tape the UK would probably switch to bell wire for lighting with thicker insulation. The ubiquity of LED & CFL bulbs makes 100w per fitting an obsolete requirement. The widespread use of double insulated fittings & RCDs along with an all time total of 1 death from a light fitting shock makes lighting earthing redundant.

You still need to be able to trip a 6A type B breaker in 0.4S (typical
lighting circuit, not all possible permitted) - and bell wire isn;t
going to do that.

no, it needs to be able to trip a 1A breaker in 0.4s. Or 1.5A etc.

Tell me - where do you buy these 1A Type B CU breakers?

I'm pretty sure the usual mcb/cu suppliers would produce them if they became part of a permitted circuit configuration.

the lighting cpc is redundant now. The outer insulation is redundant as long as the cable stays hidden in walls, floor spaces etc. Its wasted cost, materials, fuel, emissions etc. No-one plugs their iron into the bulb socket anymore.

The main purpose of the the sheath is to protect the *insulation* on the
conductors - especially during install when the cable is rough handled,
pulled through splintery holes, clipped to rough masonry etc.

There is no way getting rid of the sheath is a good idea.

Some is, some isn't. 6A to lighting points just isn't needed any more.

And your suggestion for the 19th edition of the regs is?

--
Adam