View Single Post
  #29   Report Post  
Posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster

Default How To Build A "Flexible" Bench

On Monday, October 1, 2018 at 8:21:07 PM UTC-4, Sonny wrote:
As to the benches in your link:
Seems all are made with 1" stock. Some are constructed with live edge boards. All the corners/edges seem to be sanded down, to knock off the sharp edges. Some may be beveled. Knock down those edges on whatever bench you make.
I suppose the tops are doweled in place, as the "skirts" seem to be. If you use metal fasteners, I'd suggest you fine some reproduction square nails... or horse shoe nails.

My guess is screws and plugs.

The top could be held in place with "L" brackets, under neath. This would facilitate removing the top, if need be, for refinishing or replacing, if it became damaged.... unlikely in her scenario and use.

I'm not crazy about the skirt-like sides, side supports. It's good that they are recessed, from the top's edge. Those sides make it look too bulky. I would think a single trestle board, running down the top's center line, would be structural sufficient and lend to a less bulky appearance. The trestle board could be mortised through the legs and keyed, rather than glue/dowel/screw attached.

On some benches, there's a board near the ground/floor, in a trestle position. A board as that is going to be bumped by ones feet all the time. That bumping would be more aggravating, than the uneven floor issue. Folks are always tucking their feet under a seat. It's not needed for structure, either... or it shouldn't be needed for structural support/stability. It might look impressive, but the feet hitting it will deter from any visual amenity.

The legs look plain and the "V" cut out doesn't look good, as they are. Need to bevel all those edges. The table's legs have beveled edges or similar cuts in design.

Pics: I made lots of simple benches with salvaged 2X12 construction stock. These benches are not what your daughter would like. I experimented with lots of designs, all beveled edges, so just to show you a few.... first 4 pics, scroll right.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

The trestle bracing with keyed attachment is my favorite. Not sure if your daughter may prefer a trestle type bench. Here, I shaped/contoured the trestle board, rather than it being a straight cut or plain rectangle profiled board.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/
The legs of this bench fit inside the table's legs. The legs are too close together. If you sit on the very end, the other end tilts up, teeters up. I thought the bench would be heavy enough not to do that. The bench is 8' long, to mate with a 9' table.

I'll send her the pic of the trestle and see what she says. Thanks!