Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Teaching Moment

On Monday, October 1, 2018 at 8:59:40 PM UTC-4, ads wrote:
On Mon, 01 Oct 2018 05:20:40 GMT, Puckdropper
wrote:

Changing out a wall switch, I have my sister helping me. She tells me when
I found the right breaker and I go up to change the switch. I tell her
"just because you've turned off power doesn't mean the box is dead." I
check the second switch with a non-contact voltage detector (aka Death
Stick) and see no light. But I turn on the second switch anyway and the
ceiling fan turns on!

Good teaching moments sometimes just show up.

Puckdropper

That's why I create a breaker "map" for any family/friend's house I'll
be working in more than once (most will ask more than once and I'm
willing to work for food ;-) Takes MUCH longer the first time, but
most of the outlets and switches will have the number of the
associated breaker written on them with an extra fine point Sharpy.
And I create a copy in Word for reference and printing - sized to fit
on the breaker box door.

My fixtures aren't labeled, but the "map" at the breaker box is written in
manner that not only describes what each breaker controls, but where
appropriate it also describes what the breaker does *not* control.

For example, there 2 breakers that are labeled as follows:

15 - "All living room receptacles except GFCI on North wall. See Brkr 22."

22 - "GFCI on North living room wall only. All other living room receptacles
on Brkr 15."

There are some descriptions that reference 3 or more breakers, typically
from situations where I've pulled new circuits over time.

My map was created and updated in Excel.