Jim & Lil

Default Oil fired Furnace maintenance

Hello,

I am in Canada and have an oil fired furnace I use in my back yard to heat
my "play shop' where I woodwork ...fix cars...etc.. I have this furnace on a
switch so when I am done woodworking or whatever I simply shut it off when I
am not using it. The problem is that on a weekend when I decide I have time
to go back to the shop to play...I walk into the shop and throw on the
furnace (room temp about -10 Degrees Celcius)and the furnace dosen't light
right away but still pumps fuel into the combustion chamber....when it does
light some 15 or so seconds later, it is trying to burn all the deisel oil
from not lighting up right away which freaks me out...IE:.....big
roar...black smoke etc... then it settles down and works fine... I think
it's something inside that needs cleaning.............. perhaps the contact
points that make the spark to ignite the fuel? Would there be a website
where I can see a "hands on" cleaning of one of these things?....I did a
Google search and came up with nothing....Thanks in Advance...Jim