default

Default Emergency exit from basement

Rotation Slim wrote:

I understand "code" now on basement is to have a secondary (besides
stairs) egress from basement if you want to put living quarters in
How about this instead:

Take a built-in ladder, meant to be installed in an attic, and install
it into the ceiling of basement/floor of first floor. Obviously it
would leave a big folded up ladder on the floor on the first floor,
but you could hide it with a built-in bookshelf, maybe a built-in
bench. Maybe you could design it into the floor of a broom closet.
Or maybe you could install it in such a manner (drop it down) that it
could just intall it with a flat trap door over it.

I don't have a code-book nearby, but
I believe that the second means of egress has to be separated from the
first by a fire assembly[1], which you're unlikely to have in a
single-family
dwelling, which means that you'd probably have to build a complete
landing/lobby for your stairwell, with it's own outside exit.

[1] Not only can the two means of egress to pass through the same
spaces/rooms, the spaces that they DO pass through have to
have a (I forget, 2 hour?) rated walls, doors, floors and ceilings
between them. With all the penetrations for wires, pipes etc, sealed.
All of which is a PITA.

Also, it's a bad idea to put your trapdoor someplace where
it's likely to get covered or blocked, so closets are right out.

In any case, the second exit helps you meet your
lighting and ventilation minimums, and if you make it
big enough it will also help get construction materials and
furniture in and out.

Now, if you're too close to the property line to put in a
bulkhead or window well, THEN it might make sense
to put your egress within the building envelope. In which case
I'd go with a masonry tower inside one wall, with a spiral
stair in it. That would meet the requirements, be architecturaly
interesting, and give you someplace bullet resistant to hide
when they come to get you.

--Goedjn