Punch

Default Emergency exit from basement

"Rotation Slim" wrote in message
om...
I understand "code" now on basement is to have a secondary (besides
stairs) egress from basement if you want to put living quarters in
basement. I have seen products to make basement windows large enough
to make them emergency exits, but they are a big project, and involve
cutting the basement walls. They are expensive as well.

How about this instead:

Take a built-in ladder, meant to be installed in an attic, and install
it into the ceiling of basement/floor of first floor. Obviously it
would leave a big folded up ladder on the floor on the first floor,
but you could hide it with a built-in bookshelf, maybe a built-in
bench. Maybe you could design it into the floor of a broom closet.
Or maybe you could install it in such a manner (drop it down) that it
could just intall it with a flat trap door over it.

umm I think the idea is to be able to exit the building to the outside, eg..
house above is on fire, your trapped in basement with your solution!

Punch