Posted to uk.d-i-y
Halmyre Halmyre is offline

Default Them new-fangled flourescent lights

On Monday, September 24, 2018 at 1:05:59 PM UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 24/09/2018 08:37, Halmyre wrote:
On Thursday, September 20, 2018 at 9:30:52 PM UTC+1, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 17/09/2018 10:06, Halmyre wrote:
I might just skip straight to LEDs but find them a bit cold.

That's the point isn't it? They run cold because they are much more effic...

Oh. You mean colour temperature. You can get lots of different ones,
even down to incandescent coloured ones.

Andy

I've seen some which are switchable between different colour temperatures.

Yup, in my recent bathroom refit I ened up using three of:

https://www.ledhut.co.uk/8w-integrat...reflector.html

They had a choice of three colour temps, ranging from daylight, to warm
white, and a middle one which was perhaps close to 12V halogen. I went
with the middle setting in the end, which was slightly "cooler" than
normal tungsten, but fairly neutral:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...ShowerBath.jpg

As usual when considering home improvements, I get paralysed with indecision if there's too much choice and end up not actually doing anything.

Well it has to be said its both cheaper and easier that way ;-)

Its funny how choice can be paralysing... when I did those bathrooms, it
took ages just planning and buying the bits simply because there was so
much choice.

I finally took the plunge and bought a couple of Robus units from Screwfix to replace a batten. You can switch between warm and cool light, but we'll probably stick with the cool - the warm would be fine for mood lighting but not really suitable for a kitchen.