Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default How To Build A "Flexible" Bench

On Sunday, September 30, 2018 at 2:04:07 PM UTC-4, Spalted Walt wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

My daughter saw these benches at a flea market and she wants me to build
one for her:

https://i.imgur.com/5n5kB3K.jpg

The bench she wants will be 5' long. The problem I foresee is that she
rents the first floor of an older home (1940) and the wide plank floors
aren't level/flat.

Am I nuts to be wondering if there is a way to build the bench so the
overall look is maintained and the bench is sturdy enough to hold 2-3
adults, but has just enough flex to not rock if the floor has a dip or
sag?

Maybe with 2-3 adults it will flex on it's own even if fully glued and
bolted, but what if only one person is sitting on it?

Am I, as usual, overthinking a simple project?

I'd go with the inverted V cutout base which gives 4 contact points
with the floor (as opposed to the flat cut).

At 5' long, there will be some twist in the finished bench. To
prevent the bench from rocking it seems to me you've got 2 options,
leveling feet or removing wood.

https://www.amazon.com/Rok-Hardware-...dp/B01N4BUE1P/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQipEk90-84

Yea, these aren't benches but same general principal ...

Leveling Chair Legs Gary Rogowski,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZFDo1f2tQs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpgU-_W-YrA

Get the Rock Out Charles Neil
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiunzAJgdjw

Thanks for the research and the links, but none of those fit my situation.

I'm not trying to fix a bench that wobbles on a level floor or level a
bench for a specific location on an unlevel floor. (BTDT)

I'm trying to come up with a way to prevent a bench from wobbling when
moved from a level (or unlevel) location to a different unlevel location.

Only your comment about a 5' bench having "some flex" applies. That is
something that I've already considered and I'll probably just hope for
that as the solution.