Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] hubops@ccanoemail.ca is offline

Default How To Build A "Flexible" Bench

My daughter saw these benches at a flea market and she wants me to build
one for her:
https://i.imgur.com/5n5kB3K.jpg
The bench she wants will be 5' long. The problem I foresee is that she
rents the first floor of an older home (1940) and the wide plank floors
aren't level/flat.
Am I nuts to be wondering if there is a way to build the bench so the
overall look is maintained and the bench is sturdy enough to hold 2-3
adults, but has just enough flex to not rock if the floor has a dip or
sag? Am I, as usual, overthinking a simple project?

"The bench will be used primarily at a dining room table, which means it
will be moved to slightly different locations, some of which may have dips,
humps, etc."
The bench may shift left or right, in or out, depending on the size of the
users, it's current use, etc. "Filling the gap between the base and the floor"
is not a feasible solution for a movable bench.

I say build it simple and see how it works.
Often, in rustic restaurants, the annoying wobble in a table or chair
can be corrected with just a slight move or rotation.
You might be pleasantly surprised - that it isn't a big deal.
John T.