Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb[_3_] dpb[_3_] is offline

Default DC Ammeter 500mA

On 9/29/2018 10:11 AM, dpb wrote:
I posted a month or so ago about fixing up butchered wiring on choke
circuit for old JLG 40H manlift -- got it going and on to next step...

Have had to replace a couple of the function controllers (swing/lift)
which have builtin ramp circuitry to avoid "bang-bang" operation.

Unfortunately, the new ones are never tuned to the machine and to do so
require measuring current and adjusting the hi/lo/ramp pots per a set of
ranging operation of the controller.

The current range is from 500mA to ~1A DC; my Fluke and other
multimeters are limited to 300/400 mA on the ranging scale or 10A full
scale.Â* Unfortunately, the 10A range doesn't scale so is only 1 digit
precision which isn't sufficient to adjust...

So, question is, does anybody know of reasonably-priced DMM that has
such a current range?

Well, I remembered having a resistor collection so found a 100 ohm that
measured right at 100.0 and made a shunt lead...worked like a champ.

Discovered the 'ON' current was _way_ too hot on the new controllers as
they come shipped; the ramp function has no chance against it. Backed
'em off to factory spec of 300 mA Lo and 550-600 mA Hi and then, instead
of a bucking bronco, one has a pleasant ride!

I'm _much_ happier now...