Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Angle grinders, questions & aldi review

Some questions.

I was happily grinding my angles when the bearings began to go. The gearbox was hot though the motor was cool, and it felt like an engine that kept missing. It made unwelcome bearing noises as it spun down. Also the metal was bouncing about a bit on the disc surface, which the new machine doesn't do.. So the bearings somewhere in there are almost toast. Is it worth unscrewing the gearbox & lubing or anything? It's a cheap Ferm I got 15 years ago for £15 or 16, I certainly can't complain.

Got a new grinder from Aldi. Was going to get a Mak but Aldi had them in stock, Screwfix didn't so changed my mind, needed to get on with it. It runs smoothly. It has a huge long tail, perhaps for better stability I don't know. Holding the trigger on is a bit of a pain, the old Ferm just locked on. It has a more effective guard - 2 in fact. But I think it's faulty as the disc spins up much slower than the motor does. Just wanted a quick sanity check that this isn't some weird sort of mechanical soft start mechanism. It did the job no problem though. It has variable speed too, not often useful but will be for paint stripping.

Aldi also have 4 diamond discs for 3.99, & 10 cutting discs + 1 grind disc for 3.99.

NT