Posted to alt.home.repair
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default Adding a little antifreeze to sprinkler line.

On 09/29/2018 01:51 PM, wrote:
Hey John, wondering where you think the billions of litres/gallons of windshield wiper antifreeze from all of the cars ends up? I know that mine just runs onto the ground. Apparently nobody thinks this is a problem so I can't see why it would be an issue to put it in your underground sprinkler pipes. Just sayin. I am talking about non-toxic RV antifreeze.

The windshield wiper fluid antifreeze usually contains methyl alcohol
although some Prestone products have a percent or two of ethylene glycol.

https://fscimage.fishersci.com/msds/91858.htm

It's down in section 12:

"Methyl alcohol is expected to biodegrade in soil and water very rapidly."

https://www.fishersci.com/msdsproxy%...toreId%3D10652

That one isn't as clear cut but does say 'Persistence is unlikely'.
Other MSDS documents are also unclear. The big problem is animals
drinking high concentrations.