Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Dr. Deb[_5_] Dr. Deb[_5_] is offline

Default Inverter/Motor squeal

I have a 1998 WoodFast M910 (Rikon 70-500) the inverter went out on (ABB300) a couple of years ago. I scrounged E-Bay and found another for $400. Installed and it worked fine, until a few weeks ago. I went looking for another inverter and found a Hitachi WJ200 that looked like it would fill the bill.

Got the Hitachi, read the manual and realized I needed help. Called Customer Support and was blown away. I have NEVER found a CS that was so customer oriented. I am not talking about "hold your hand and make you feel better,." but is genuinely interested in getting your inverter set up correctly and answer ing any questions.

With the motor mounted where it is, reading the plate is difficult. So called Leeson and found they could give little information, because its a proprietary. The could, however, tell me the number of poles (6) and the freq. (1144) .

I have it up and running, but at about half way through the speed range, I start getting, what appears to be, a harmonic squeal. I have two questions:

Is that indicative of something that will harm the motor, or inverter?

Can I continue to run it and just put up with the squeal?

Thanks