Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y
543dsa 543dsa is offline

Default Common property door lock keeps getting changed by one of the unit owners

"543dsa" wrote in message

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
543dsa wrote:

Australia, strata title, which has some similarities to the US
condominium
system but we don’t have home owners associations here. How things
must be done it spelt out in the strata title legislation.

Which from reading the bumph

https://www.strata.community/understandingstrata/what-is-strata

the individual lots should be precisely marked on the plans, so the
ownership of the balcony should be clear,

Yes.

and there is a legal entity
behind the common parts, so doesn't the legal entity just sue the
lock-changing dickhead?

Yes, but as I said elsewhere, the only viable way to do that
with such a small cost is to use the small claims court and
the problem is that its decision is not enforceable using
a bailiff and it is trivial to ignore debt collectors and they
wouldn’t be interested in such a small debt anyway.

Which is why I was asking if anyone could think of any
mechanical way to stop the miscreant from keeping on
getting a locksmith to keep changing the lock and we
have now confirmed that no one can come up with any
legal way of actually preventing him from doing that.

Yes, it is certainly possible to get a court injunction
to stop him getting the lock changed by a locksmith,
but that wouldn’t be cheap and he is likely to just ignore
that and is very unlikely to be jailed if he ignores that
with a civil matter.

And while it would certainly be feasible to setup a
surveillance camera with movement detection so
that any time a locksmith shows up change the lock
someone can show up in person or remotely tell the
locksmith that he isnt allowed to change the lock and
it is unlikely that any locksmith would change it anyway,
there isnt anyone there full time who is prepared to do
that and it obviously isnt feasible to pay some
commercial operation to do that.