Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_24_] Frank[_24_] is offline

Default "Hairline" crack in toilet & tank: Problem?

On 9/25/2018 2:24 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 9/25/2018 1:56 PM, Frank wrote:

I've had all my old toilets replaced in turn when problems developed.
Very happy with the newer low flush models as they use less water to
dump into the septic and better designed mechanisms are practically
trouble free.* I also let my plumber do it.* I can fix anything on a
toilet but discovered as many others have that tightening down too
tight can crack the porcelain.

Remodeled both bathrooms about 4 years ago.* Put in Kohler 1.6 gpf,
comfort height and slow close seats.* As you get older the comfort
height certainly is nice.

The 1.6 flush has never missed a perfect flush.* Much better than the
originals of years ago that took two or three hits to clear.

I remember them cursing these toilets when they first came out but
apparently all the problems were solved with time. Also recall the days
to save water people put bricks in the toilets then needing to flush more.

Only new toilet I have that is fussy is a Toto with a 3 inch flapper and
a side mounted lever. Toilet has a great flush but I could only fix it
with OEM parts. Other Toto with a 2 inch flap and front lever is 20
years old and has never needed any fixing.