Posted to alt.home.repair
John Grabouski John Grabouski is offline

Default what is the plaster like gunk that clogs my drainpipe?

replying to John Grabouski, John Grabouski wrote:
Meant to say....we have very HARD water here. [Not so much HOT water.] BTW.
MrRooter website also has some thought, I am NOT employed (nor ever have been)
with Mr Rooter. I did find several points applicable to the original post.

https://www.mrrooter.com/greater-syr...-of-drain-blo/

One more thought. My parents lived in a house built 1950s. Had the original
stool in place when I finally remodeled to a 17inch high model. Folks were
there 35 years and during that time, NEVER had the stool been removed. It
always seems to drain slow, and an occasional overflow was not uncommon. So
we used the other bathroom (more often than not) for multiple (number 2)
reasons.

So when I finally removed it (about 2001), I was surprised to find a "tongue"
of hard water deposit which extended past the middle of the 4 inch hole and
was nearly 4 inches wide. YEP, it prevented a full flow of waste down the
hole. Reminded me of a stalactite (which forms over 1000s of years?).
Apparently flushing a half dozen times daily is the near equivalent. How is
this RELEVANT. Hard water deposits which accumulate. [Although I still
subscribe to the grease coming out of solution when the soap solution cools
from the original HOT solution which helped dissolve the grease, but it could
be helped to come out of solution by those same minerals which help with hard
water deposits.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...pe-296647-.htm