Posted to alt.home.repair
John Grabouski John Grabouski is offline

Default what is the plaster like gunk that clogs my drainpipe?

replying to carey, John Grabouski wrote:
No disposal, no DW. Appear to have same stuff, I too am a chemist, but no
longer have lab access. In my case, I live in the rental formerly Single
Family residence now 8 plex. My kitchen sink stacks up with the one above it
and nothing else on that line. Also (unfortunately) when the plumbing for
these sections was done (before my time here) the drains were in copper.
Supply lines in Galv pipe. Having been working on a clogged drain today in
the kitchen (runs through the basement. I have been under the impression,
the white chunks are grease which have come out of solution when the hot water
containing the grease cools as it feeds away from your sink. We also have
very hot water in this area, so that could help with the process.

Generally sticking any acid (even vinegar) is not a good thing for a copper
drain, so I have refrained. I have had luck with KOH/NaOH. That is...until
today. When even that didnt work. SO I am in the process of cutting out the
12 ft copper section now (12 years on my todo list) and replacing it with
PVC....and a couple of cleanout plugs strategically placed. Ask me again in
another 10 years. THis thread was started in 2008?? So 10 years might be
around!

[...]

WHile I dont put any grease down the sink, I can guarantee my tenants above
have not. And as some grease is dissolved by the hot water soap solution,
that could still hold with my theory.

PS..dumping hot water down the pipe will likely only move the problem farther
down the pipe....but perhaps that is far enuff.

I have heard plumbing is designed to last 50 years in a new construction
house. This one dates to the 1890s. Much of my maintenance involves
plumbing (or roofing)....Wont be building my own anytime soon. GOOD LUCK.

Unfortunately I have not replaced this section of Feed pipes (galvanized pipe)
with PEX, so water pressure isnt great either. Which means, anything WASHED
down the pipe, doesnt get very far.

Would be curious to know what anyone else has found out.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...pe-296647-.htm