Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Problem with economics of on demand hot water heaters

On 9/24/2018 3:12 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 9/24/2018 2:00 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Â*Â* What's your take on point of use heaters ? Ours is a small one ,
only about 1.5 gallons , mounted in the crawl space under the kitchen
sink area . The reason we got it was because hot water took too long
to get from the main heater (40 gal electric) to the dishwasher/sink
. Additionally , the main is set at 130° or so and we wanted minimum
140° at the dishwasher . Never got over 120° coming from the main to
the D/W and that ain't hot enough to sanitize the dishes .

I don't see much difference in cost wither way.Â* The small tanks are
often not as well insulated but if the distance to the regular tank is
long, it will save water as the hot will be there quickly.

As for the dishwasher, I get excellent results with 120 degree water
as there is a sani portion in the cycle that raises the temperature.
Coupled with the caustic detergent, they should be sanitized well.Â* It
also helps to use a good detergent.Â* We use Cascade Platinum and also
a rinse aid.

She buys the cheap stuff ... but we do use a rinse aid . I do like
having the very hot water at the sink too for those few items that we
hand wash . last rinse is straight hot .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old