Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Adding an extra 13A socket ...

On 24/09/2018 12:58, Fredxx wrote:
On 24/09/2018 03:54, John Rumm wrote:
On 23/09/2018 18:32, Fredxx wrote:
On 20/09/2018 14:56, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
On 20/09/2018 14:20, T i m wrote:
Just a quick question.

What is the (legal?) position re me / one adding an extra
double socket (next to an existing) in a living room for /
with a non d-i-y mate?

You can do whatever you like in/to your own home, or indeed
others homes providing you're not acting as/in a commercial
entity/capacity.

No you can't in a legal sense. You're getting confused with gas,
even then you need BC for changing a boiler.

You cannot legally add a circuit in your own home, nor can you
legally change your consumer unit for a safer one.

I think you are getting a bit confused. Firstly the OP is talking
about extending an existing circuit, not installing a new one.
Since its not in a special location (room containing bath / shower
/ sauna / pool), that is not a notifiable job.

Even if he were installing a whole new circuit or swapping the CU,
that would still be legal, however it would also be notifiable. He
would then have a choice of either submitting a building notice
prior to doing the work, and allowing LABC to sign off on it, or
requesting a third party who is authorised to do so, to sign off
the work.

All DIY electrical work in your home is legal. Some of it is
notifiable. All of it needs to be done to an adequate standard.

Perhaps I should have mentioned notifiable as opposed to not being
legal.

Yup, there is a fairly significant difference!

I genuinely thought extending an existing ring circuit was
notifiable? Whereas making a spur isn't.

A spur would be an extension anyway...

Basically, you can extend a circuit in any way you like and its non
notifiable.

Note that latest part P also removed some jobs from the list of
notifiable ones. So kitchens are no longer special locations, and
neither is work on electrical stuff outside.

Have a look at:

https://assets.publishing.service.go..._AD_P_2013.pdf

In the intro it says:

"Changes in the legal requirements
€ข The range of electrical installation work that is notifiable (where
there is a requirement to certify compliance with the Building
Regulations) has been reduced.

€ข An installer who is not a registered competent person may use a
registered third party to certify notifiable electrical installation
work as an alternative to using a building control body"

The list of notifiable jobs in in 2.5:

"12.€”(6A) A person intending to carry out building work in relation to
which Part P of Schedule 1 imposes a requirement is required to give a
building notice or deposit full plans where the work consists of€”
(a) the installation of a new circuit;
(b) the replacement of a consumer unit; or
(c) any addition or alteration to existing circuits in a special location."

--
Cheers,

John.