Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Them new-fangled flourescent lights

In article ,
Halmyre writes:
On Monday, September 17, 2018 at 11:21:13 AM UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
Halmyre wrote:

Might be cheaper to run but the frequency with which the *******
things in my kitchen (under-cabinet downlighters) need replaced
outweigh the benefits.

Are they the smaller T5 tubes though? I do find they blacken and die
early, next time any go in the kitchen, I think it'll be LED time here...

Yes, T5. Three tubes of two different lengths, and the shorter one goes most often.

14W and upwards (which are the newer T5 tubes) should have a long life,
even when switched relatively often. If not, the ballast is out of spec.
I've fitted many of those, including eight in my kitchen which are now
8 years old, and not a single tube has died, but they are all using well
known manufacturer tubes and control gear with proper programmed start.

The spec of the older 4,6,8,13W T5 tubes is not so carefully specified,
and control gear for them does vary in quality enormously and good gear
harder to find.

--
Andrew Gabriel