Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Induction heating question

On Thu, 20 Sep 2018 05:39:39 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Wednesday, September 19, 2018 at 7:39:21 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I have a small run of parts that have a #3 Morse taper on one end. At
the small end of the taper is a straight diameter that's .700 diameter
by .600 long. The material is 17-4 PH stainless. I want to harden the
small end only. To do this it must be heated to 900 degrees F and held
there for a while. I was wondering if a 2000 watt induction heater
would be up to the task. I know there are many variables but there
must be a minimum amount of power needed. Anybody know?
Thanks,
Eric

The big problem that I see is avoiding hardening the rest of the part.
I would suggest you think about why you do not want the entire part hardened and try to think about how you could live with the entire piece being hard.

As I remember to harden 17-4 ph you heat to 900 F and hold it at that temp for an hour.

Dan

Greetings Dan,
You are correct about getting the full hardness. But I have done this
before with a torch and the steel does get substantially nharder and
tougher in just a rew minutes. The customer is not requiring the
hardened end but it would make the part better. Sending the parts out
for heat treatment may cause them to warp as they are long and the
other end is pretty skinny.
Eric