Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Adding an extra 13A socket ...

On 20/09/2018 14:20, T i m wrote:
Just a quick question.

What is the (legal?) position re me / one adding an extra double
socket (next to an existing) in a living room for / with a non d-i-y
mate?

No problem.

I mean, I believe we (or 'competent people' at least) can do some
electrical stuff for ourselves but does it still need signing off to
maintain the 'tested' status for insurance purposes etc?

You can do *any* electrical work yourself. All of it needs to be done to
BS7671 or a compatible standard. *some* of it would be classed as
"notifiable".

Notifiable jobs would include additions or non trivial changes in a
bathroom, or room with sauna or pool. Adding a whole new circuit, or
changing a consumer unit.

Adding sockets to a living room is non notifiable.

If it was 'ok' for me to do it (for / with him as a mate, not as a
'job' etc),

Yes, and you can charge him as well if you want... this is not gas work
where working professionally would require gas safe membership.

would it be better to try to get the new socket into the
existing ring [1] or failing that, could it be a spur (assuming 2.5mm
T&E)?

If its easy to add into the ring, then that is slightly preferable, but
a spur is also acceptable.

Cheers, T i m

[1] I think it's all plasterboard on battens but as yet have no idea
how much room there is behind the location of the additional box (or
where the battens are etc).

You can use a stud finder, or a metal detector, or even just a strong
magnet to find the fixings in the PB.

--
Cheers,

John.