Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default Adding an extra 13A socket ...

On 20/09/2018 14:20, T i m wrote:
Just a quick question.

What is the (legal?) position re me / one adding an extra double
socket (next to an existing) in a living room for / with a non d-i-y
mate?

If there were a fire because you utterly ballsed it up and someone died,
you might well be tried. Manslaughter through gross negligence would
most probably be the charge. I see no reason why, just because you're an
unpaid amateur, that should not apply.

I think the courts would take the view that electrickery is known to be
dangerous stuff, and even an amateur should be held to account if his
work falls well short of competent.

As you're a careful bloke, it's unlikely to happen, but you did ask
about the legal position.