Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Induction heating question

wrote in message
I have a small run of parts that have a #3 Morse taper on one end. At
the small end of the taper is a straight diameter that's .700
diameter
by .600 long. The material is 17-4 PH stainless. I want to harden
the
small end only. To do this it must be heated to 900 degrees F and
held
there for a while. I was wondering if a 2000 watt induction heater
would be up to the task. I know there are many variables but there
must be a minimum amount of power needed. Anybody know?
Thanks,
Eric

Do you have an infrared thermometer that reads that high? You could
heat the end of a reject or test piece with acetylene until the red
glow is visible in dim light and measure the temperature profile down
the taper.

https://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Prime...gh+temperature

-jsw