Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard Smith[_4_] Richard Smith[_4_] is offline

Default Induction heating question

writes:

I have a small run of parts that have a #3 Morse taper on one end. At
the small end of the taper is a straight diameter that's .700 diameter
by .600 long. The material is 17-4 PH stainless. I want to harden the
small end only. To do this it must be heated to 900 degrees F and held
there for a while. I was wondering if a 2000 watt induction heater
would be up to the task. I know there are many variables but there
must be a minimum amount of power needed. Anybody know?
Thanks,
Eric

I wrote a computer numbercrunching solution to do this for flocking
pipe with fusion-bonded epoxy. Get the right temperature for long
enough but not "burn" the pipe surface (essentially - if the "white"
blasted surface develops any temper colour patina).

I myself do not know of any other way.

Mine is a mechanistic model based on heat transfer being a random
jumping process. Not mathematical at all.

Whether current finite element packages could do this easily for your
part ? As never tried.

This is a transient-state / "unsteady state" heat calculation /
computation. Which "notoriously" do not have "on-paper" formulae to
enable answers to be worked out, apart from some very simple cases
which fall way short of most practical engineering applications.

Rich Smith