Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Fred McKenzie Fred McKenzie is offline

Default Mobile anyennas for six and two meter bands

In article ,
wrote:

I plan on installing my Yaesau FT 867 in my car. The car was a former state
police vehicle and so holes were already cut in both the middle of the trunk
and the middle of the roof. I have a bunch of NMO type antenna bases around
here that cover these frequencies and I would like to use these antennas for
this. I have used these antennas before but only for one specific frequency.
It has been my experience that these antennas tune rather sharply. Since both
of these bands are 4 MHZ wide what frequency should I cut the antennas for?
Center frequency would be easy but wouldn't an antenna cut for 52 MHZ have
very poor SWR when used at 50 MHZ? The rig has both low and high band
outputs. I'm not sure what I should do. Thanks for any input on this. Lenny

Lenny-

I would get the matching LDG auto tuner. It would work on HF through 6
Meters. That way you could cut the 6 Meter antenna for mid-band and let
the tuner match other frequencies.

This assumes the antenna needs tuning. I would check it to see how far
off it is at band edges when tuned to 52 MHz. If you are lucky, the
FT-867 can tolerate the extremes.

Fred