Posted to alt.home.repair
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default Computer keyboard and mouse question

On Mon 17 Sep 2018 07:29:42p, David Nye told us...

On Sun 16 Sep 2018 06:29:14p, micky told us...

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 16 Sep 2018 15:03:23 -0700, "Cheri"
wrote:

Hi, I'm sorry if this is the wrong group but hoping someone can
help. I ordered a desktop computer with Win10 that came with
mouse and keyboard. The computer plug ins on the back of
computer for these are round pin type, but the mouse and
keyboard that came with it have the slotted flat plug ends. I
have a man coming from Best Buy on Tuesday and wonder what type
if any adapters there are for this. Thanks to anyone who can
help, I am not computer savvy at all.
The round jacks are for people who have a favorite keyboard or
mouse that has a round plug (PS-2). Everyone else uses USB
plugs and jacks.

They are also used for flashdrives (also called disk on key,
etc.) and sometimes for headphones, external speakers, external
harddrives, external floppy drives, etc.

There are some jacks in the back and some in the front. If you
use them all up, you can get a little, cheap thing that's like
an extension cord for USB, that has 3 or more usb jacks and one
usb plug.

I have no desire for wireless. I'm sitting right here and so is
the mouse. Plus with wireless, there is a battery in the mouse
and another in the keyboard. Who needs that. If I ever decide
to sit far away, I'll get wireless, or a usb extension cord.

FWIW, the batteries in my wireless keyboard and mouse seem to
last forever. I rarely have to change them more than once a
year. If I wanted to conserve battery life even further, each
unit has it's own off/on switch.

I often move my keyboard to a sideboard when I'm not using it and
want more desktop work space. The wire is a hindrance for me.

I have a Logitech K800 back-lit keyboard and a Performance MX
mouse.

The rechargeable AA battery in the mouse has a battery life of ~8
days so I have to plug the mouse in to USB cable once a week to
recharge.

Oddly, the K800 back-lit keyboard lasts longer at about 14 days
between charges.

I have a Logitec K520 Keyboard that uses 2 disposabnle AA batteries
that last over a year. The Loitec M310 Mouse uses 1 disposable AA
battery and last 8-9 months. Given the short battery life of your
recharagebles, I'd much rather have my disposable batteries.

I'm thinking his rechargeables are toast.