Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Computer keyboard and mouse question

On Mon, 17 Sep 2018 23:45:24 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

On Mon 17 Sep 2018 11:30:27a, Mark Lloyd told us...

On 09/17/2018 04:16 AM, trader_4 wrote:

[snip]

They disappeared over 15 years ago. Is that round connector even
for a keyboard? And unless it's some custom made system, all
systems from any manufacturer come with a quick start sheet,
color coded cables, etc that show how you plug it together. I
doubt you could find any new motherboard with a PS2 connector.

One reason for continuing to use PS/2 keyboard is BIOS. The first
ones didn't support USB, although that's been a long tome too.

The motherboard I bought 5 years ago came with one. Just one. The
color around it was purple on one side and green on the other,
indicating it could be used for either mouse or keyboard. Adapters
are available to allow both. However I chose USB since I had USB
peripherals and USB connectors don't fall out as easily.

BTW, that system has no floppy controller and no parallel ATA
(SATA only). It does have RS232 and parallel.

I wonder if new mice & keyboards work with PS/2, which uses a
completely different protocol.

My current Dell Precision 3620 has 3 USB sockets on the front and 5
on the rear. It also has the PS/2 sockets but I have nothing to plug
into them.

I need a PS/2 port for my Seeburg 3W1 juke box controller. My current
W/7 machine has one.