Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default 1st year apprentice

On 15/09/2018 15:25, Roger Hayter wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Roger Hayter wrote:
Cursitor Doom wrote:

On Sat, 15 Sep 2018 20:42:02 +1000, FMurtz wrote:

Tim Streater wrote:

Does the 1.5mm refer to the overall diameter of the flex, the diameter
of each core including insulation, or the diameter of each core
excluding insulation.

Every one knows what he is referring to except maybe you.

I'm more of an old imperial measurement type (AWG/SWG etc) but believe
that 1.5mm is *way* too thin to make an extension lead out of (unless you
just want to make up something specifically for a lightly loaded lighting
application.

In an ideal world you'd think so, wouldn't you? But in practice I had a
lot of searching to do to find someone who'd sell me a made up extension
lead on a reel 25m long and 2.5mm^2 flex.

Why would you need to get someone to make up such a lead for you?

Nearly all the popular mass-market ones are 1.5mm flex. Still rated
at 13A unwound (as the electricians will tell you) but a significant
power loss for 2.2kW power tools.

2.2kW power tools are hardly domestic. For pro use you should be using
suitable cable and connectors. Think building site.

Think cheap chinese concrete breakers. And big angle grinders.

Garden shredders, and the bigger mowers...
Hot air paint stripper
Pressure washer

--
Cheers,