Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default 1st year apprentice

On 15/09/2018 17:43, charles wrote:
In article , Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article , F
news@nowhere wrote:
In article , F
news@nowhere wrote:
I'm more of an old imperial measurement type (AWG/SWG etc) but
believe that 1.5mm is *way* too thin to make an extension lead out
of (unless you just want to make up something specifically for a
lightly loaded lighting application.

Until someone borrows it for a not-so-lightly-loaded application.

Perhaps you didn't know, but UK plugs have a fuse in them?

I do, but am grateful for the reminder. However, not everyone installs
the appropriate fuse.

But a 13 amp fuse is correct for 1.5mm cable...

not if it's still coiled in a reel, The current carrying capacity is
reduiced by 75%. ie to 12A, so: use a 10A fuse in case.

For a fully coiled lead you could probably melt it even with a 5A fuse.
They normally state a max load not exceeding 1kW, and that is only a bit
over 4A.

--
Cheers,

John.