Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default 1st year apprentice

On 15/09/2018 15:12, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Sat, 15 Sep 2018 14:44:04 +0100, charles wrote:

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
F news@nowhere wrote:
I'm more of an old imperial measurement type (AWG/SWG etc) but
believe that 1.5mm is *way* too thin to make an extension lead out
of (unless you just want to make up something specifically for a
lightly loaded lighting application.

Until someone borrows it for a not-so-lightly-loaded application.

Perhaps you didn't know, but UK plugs have a fuse in them?

but most people put 13A fuses in them.

I bought an extension reel from BnQ a while back. Eventually discovered
it was fitted with a 10A fuse. Never knew such a thing existed! Still,
probably my fault for simply assuming something from them would be good
for 13A!

That seemed to be a response after testing lots of cheap chinesium
extension leads and finding that under high loads they would fail
catastrophically. The 10A fuse will still likely carry 13A indefinitely,
but will limit the scope for overloading as far as a 13A fuse would permit.

--
Cheers,

John.